Message from 2022
This post is pretty old! Opinions and technical information in it are almost certainly oudated. Commands and configurations will probably not work. Consider the age of the content before putting any of it into practice.
I’m going to LessConf this weekend, and I figured I should post some tips on how to get good service and have fun when dining with a conference group.
- Forget going as one giant twelve-person party unless you set that up with the restaurant hours or days ago. You’ll take forever to get seated and the service will most likely suck.
- Two or four person parties are best since the restaurant is already configured for these. You will get better service and have more fun.
- Seriously, split up your big party into groups that don’t already mutually know each other. Meet new people, make friends, and have new conversations.
- Let the wait staff know you’ll be splitting the bill before you start ordering.
- Have cash in case they can’t split and you don’t want to pack up and bail right away.
- Tip well if you’re in the USA. 15% is reasonable, 25% is a great tip for food and drinks.